Thursday, July 28, 2011

More about Atlanta

It's been a couple of weeks since I have posted, but I have been extremely busy.

Last Saturday, I was going to take a trip to the Atlanta Zoo. I haven't been there yet, but really want to go. Instead, I spent all day running around for my mother!

Those of you who keep up on Mom's blog, grandma-shirley.blogspot.com, know that she purchased a new car and is giving me her old one. For me to license it in Georgia, I have to give up my Washington State residency -- something I really don't want to do (taxes and stuff). If I am just working in Georgia, though, I can keep the car licensed in Washington.

So, Mom and Donna ran around on Friday getting the paperwork necessary to give me the car. Now, I needed to get a form notarized and sent to them.

Mom filled out the label on the overnight delivery envelope carefully -- then switched the last two digits of my zip code. When the package hadn't arrived by noon, I checked with the Post Office and found out the problem; the envelope was in a post office 5 miles away and if I wanted it today I would have to pick it up in person. I quickly rented a ZipCar, set my phone to the address (love Google Navigation!), and raced over there. I didn't realize the highway to Sandy Springs is a toll road, and had to beg my way through since all I had on me was 46 cents of a 50 cent toll. (Toll collector: "Don't you have any more pennies?" No, I don't, or I wouldn't be begging).

Once I picked up the package, it was too late for me to go to my bank and get the paper notarized. I figured since I was just a couple of miles from the Atlanta Temple, that I would go there and at least take a picture --so I did.

I needed groceries, so figured that while I had the car I might as well do that. When I found a grocery store, it had a bank inside -- and, a notary public! I just needed to open an account, and I got the document notarized. By the time I found the post office to drop off the return envelope and got home, I was exhausted. But, I now have a new car.

Or I will  have a new car soon -- Mom and Donna are driving it to Atlanta from Sequim in two weeks. It will be an adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Wow... a cross country drive for them.... thats crazy, but it will be nice that you will have your own car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had trouble on this end too. There is express overnight from Sequim to Atlanta but not from Atlanta to Sequim even though I paid the $18 it took two days. Yes, your car will be realitively new. The car dealer was really disappointed that I wouldn't trade it in. Donna and I will be embarking on our journey on the morning of August 10th.

    ReplyDelete