Friday, July 8, 2011

Atlanta??? I don't think this is the Emerald City, Toto.

How did I end up in Atlanta? A lot has happened to me in the 8 months since I last posted to this blog.

I needed to find a job that I would enjoy, and that would pay me enough to support my family. (My last job -- which I never should have taken -- paid nearly 30% less than I earned at Rosetta.)

So, I started looking again. In June, I found the perfect job in Alameda, California -- but a few hours before I was to leave, the company put a hiring freeze on.

A week later, I found a great job in Denver, CO -- but, on my way driving there, I got a call saying that the company wasn't ready for me yet. I spent the night in Casper, WY, before coming home.

A week later, I found a great job again in Atlanta. I flew in for the job interview, and spent less than 24 hours for the entire trip. Shortly after I got home, I was given a start date in one week. I threw together what I could take in a suitcase, got a room for 3 days in a hotel, flew in at 7:00 AM and starting working at 9:00 AM. What a ride!

So here I am, working for the Department of Education in Georgia. We are creating a website to help special ed teachers create IEPs (Individual Educational Plan). I was in a meeting today with two of the top Special Ed directors for the state. Both were impressed by how much I knew about Special Ed and IEPs -- thanks to my children, of course. :)

I am going to try to post frequently. I miss my grandbabies -- Tyler, Avery, and Harper -- and want to share my new job and surroundings with them.

Next post -- all about Atlanta!

No comments:

Post a Comment